Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Movie Review 2nd Edition

So... sadly again no good reviews. My mom and I sat down last night and tried to pick a movie out. No winners. So I went "On Demand" and we picked out Changeling. Once again, the acting was phenomenal, the setting (1928 LA) was beautifully re-engineered, but the ending was terrible. Sorry to all those who have not seen it, but I MUST ruin it for you, because I cannot have it on my conscience that someone might have the same experience that I did. Excuse me while I go on a rampage...
The movie, as some of you know, is about a mother (Angelina Jolie) who comes home from work to find her 9 year old son gone. She goes to the police, doesn't get very much help, and 3 months later they produce a boy who they say is her son. But even as she laughably says 200 times, "He is NOT my son!", and provides proof that he is not, the LAPD continues to try and convince her that he is, and that she just doesn't recognize him after SO much time. The LAPD knows they probably made a mistake, but don't want to look bad in the press. So as she persists, they throw her into the psych ward! Now remember, this is a true story so you can imagine me, with my son in the next room sleeping, watching this poor woman go through all this, thinking every minute that her son is out there alone somewhere or worse. So I was fully convinced that she would find her son soon.
Not so fast. Then another plot comes in, where the police discover a man who has been killing little boys out in nowhere, and her son was identified as at least being kidnapped by this guy. No one knows if he was killed. And let me say, they go almost too far in letting the viewer know just what happened to these little boys. At least too far for me ;) . So she gets out of the psych ward, sues the LAPD and wins, and the killer taunts her a few times with whether or not he killed her boy. This goes on and I'm sure the ending will be worth all the pain. Nope. She never finds her son. NEVER! In the end they say she never stopped looking for him, but obviously never found out anything. I can appreciate that it was a true story, and that of course not all kidnappings have good endings, but come on! Give a girl a happy ending! Sigh...

No comments: