Saturday, January 24, 2009

Movie Review: 1st Edition

I went to see Revolutionary Road with my sister Melissa last night. We have been meeting for movies for a while and savoring sister-time until the long-awaited baby day comes in April. So far, we have seen a number of movies, most of which have exceptional acting, but are not too great. The latest was Seven Pounds, which I was excited for, but turned out to be very predictable, I wish they would have had more twists. Let me say, I am pretty easy with movies. Serve me up some good dialogue, with a satisfying ending, and I'm sold. If I compare anything with The Lord of the Rings, rest assured it's good :) . I think it's especially hard if you don't know what you're in for. Both Seven Pounds and Revolutionary Road were secretive in their publicity. You didn't really know much about the meat of the movie.

So, the movie last night was good, the acting was phenomenal, but I was disappointed in the first 20 minutes. Top that with some confusing scenes, a sad, almost disturbing ending, and it's hard to see what the actors loved about the story as a whole. It was lovely to see Kate Winslet and Leo DiCaprio together again, and as I said, they were both Oscar-worthy. But it's sad that I was so excited about the hype that I had to go see it on opening night. That is rare for me.

See it, you might love it, don't buy it because you probably won't watch it again.


TOP TEN FAVORITE DRAMA FILMS (some may fall into other categories as well)


1. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (I would put this in all categories ;)


2. Pride and Prejudice (The most beautiful and intoxicating love story)


3. Gone With The Wind (Timeless classic, for the time such a production...)


4. A Few Good Men (I have loved this since I was 13)


5. Titanic (Anything you see in the theater 9 times must be on the list)


6. Spanglish (Exceptional acting, great plot)


7. Far and Away (I love period pieces and Tom Cruise...)


8. Atonement (A shocking yet captivating period piece)


9. In Her Shoes (More phenomenal acting, and the book is one of my favorites)


10. The Notebook (The kind of love story that makes your heart ache)


So there it is. Yes, I do love me some chick flick. I'm a girl. And I love to daydream. And it only took me about 5 minutes to compose this list, so that's how much I love these movies. Watch and enjoy.

1 comment:

Watty said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.